NLSobon

Smash Into You
Shelly Crane
Decoding Evie
Nicole Sobon
Pure - Jennifer L. Armentrout I thought "The Iron Knight" toyed with my emotions. Yeah. "Pure"? Let's just say I went from wanting to cry, to wanting to throw my ARC across the room, to smiling (both Aiden and Seth have their moments). But even though I wanted to smack a few characters - especially a certain boy - I absolutely loved "Pure".

With sequels, it's usually either hit or miss. Will the author deliver another fantastic story? Or will they fall short? This is one of those sequels that manages to hit every right note - in fact, as soon as I finished, I was more than ready to re-read the entire book. It really was that good.

Now onto my actual review:

(Note: I'm going to try and avoid any spoilers - seriously, there's a lot that happens in "Pure" and I do not want to ruin it for you.)

Love triangles can be frustrating, especially if they are the focal point of a story. In "Pure", there is a love triangle going on, yes, but it's not the main plot. In "Half-Blood", the first book in the Covenant series, Alex falls for Aiden, a pure blood. Romance between a pure and a half is forbidden. Alex knows this, and so does Aiden, but it doesn't stop them from feeling something for one another. In the first book there's a moment of "weakness" on Aiden's behalf where he almost gives into his desires to be with Alex, but when that moment is interrupted, he reminds himself that he cannot be with Alex. He's determined to make sure she understands that he won't allow her to lose everything for him. It's honestly one of the many reasons why I adored Aiden, but all of that changes in the second book. In "Pure", we get to see a different side to Alex, Aiden, and Seth. It's a nice change, but it also left me wanting to smack Aiden numerous times.

In the first book, while I found Seth to be amusing, I figured he would be trouble - that he was an arrogant jerk. And while he is arrogant, he isn't the jerk you may find him to be. When Aiden decides to stop training Alex, she ends up spending a lot more time with Seth, something he isn't too fond of at first. He follows her everywhere, insists on staying over, and always, somehow, finds a way to throw in an inappropriate comment - but when Alex loses someone close to her, its Seth - not Aiden - that steps in to comfort her. It's honestly that part of "Pure" that made me fall in love with Seth.

When Alex leaves to head to the council - Aiden and Seth joining her, along with her uncle and step father - Aiden maintains his distance from Alex, not wanting to draw attention to them. But he can only keep his distance so long. When someone sets out to harm Alex, Aiden and Seth have to work together to protect her, and you better believe there is tension between the two of them.

But the tension between the two boys is nothing compared to the final battle near the end of "Pure". When the Furies are unleashed after the daimon's break into the Covenant, set on destroying the council, it's an outright blood bath that will not end well. Alex will break one of the most important rules and if anyone ever finds out, it's not only her that'll pay.

Back to the romance: Alex's heart belongs to Aiden, but she's tied to Seth - whether she likes it or not. She is his other half, and he her's. She cannot change fate, and she's aware of that. When Alex makes her choice, it's easy to see that why she made the choice she did, but you also know that her decision isn't final - as proven by that bedroom scene. I honestly cannot wait to see where Jennifer takes the story next and what'll happen with Alex - will she follow fate or will she continue to seek out what her heart wants? Even if it could cost her everything?

Jennifer has delivered yet another wonderful action packed, romantic novel that'll leave readers eager for the next installment. Oh, and that pool scene that Jenn teased? Wait until you read the actual scene. Along with the scene in a certain person's room...the one that leads to a physical fight between the two boys. Seriously, both are ohmygods worthy moments.

A few of my favorite quotes from "Pure":

(Note: these were quoted from an ARC, words may vary in the final print.)

"Aw, did you just fall?"

"No." I rolled onto my back, wincing. "I attacked the floor."

----Taken from page 64.

"I love your bed." I rolled onto my stomach, smiling. "I love it so much I'd marry it if I could."

Seth laughed out loud. "You'd marry my bed?"

"Mmm."