NLSobon

Shelly Crane
Decoding Evie
Nicole Sobon
A Long, Long Sleep - Anna Sheehan Reviewed on: August 11, 2011

Will "A Long, Long Sleep" appeal to everyone? Probably not.

Should you give it a chance? Absolutely.

This story was not what I was expecting what-so-ever. For the first half of the book, I couldn't stand Rose. But as the story goes on and her relationships with Otto and Bren evolve, a new side of Rose begins to come through.

For those unaware, "A Long, Long Sleep" is a retelling of "Sleeping Beauty". After being in stasis for sixty two years, Rosalinda Fitzroy, a sixteen year old girl, is awoken by a kiss. The world as she knew it is gone, as are her family and boyfriend, Xavier. She's been assigned legal guardians by the current owner of UniCorp, the company her parents once owned, and she's now being thrown into a world she's unfamiliar with.

Where this story truly shines is in its second half.

If you struggle to get through the first half of the book, as I did, I urge you to keep pushing...it's worth it.

Rosalinda, or Rose, transforms from a passive character to a strong character, something I was incredibly happy to see. What makes Rose so interesting is not only the life she's lived, or the people in her life, but more so her actions when she finds out the truth.

When Rose realizes that those she thought loved her never really cared, she doesn't fall down and crumble. When she realizes that she never really lost a certain someone, she confronts them head on looking for answers.

There were some things I didn't like, mainly the word choice every so often. Given the technology fueled world in which the story takes place, I can understand the desire to use words such as: comm, coit, or sky, especially given coit was used in place of foul language, but it did take some getting used to.

All in all, I'd have to say "A Long, Long Sleep" is definitely a book worth picking up. There's romance, there's excellent world building, there's an interesting plot full of interesting characters, and there's also fantastic character building here.