NLSobon

Smash Into You
Shelly Crane
Decoding Evie
Nicole Sobon
Chopsticks - Jessica Anthony, Rodrigo Corral "Chopsticks" is a truly unique novel, one that is rather difficult to review. The story is told through visual representations, with only the slightest use of actual words. But as the saying goes: "a picture is worth a thousand words."

The story is about Gloria "Glory" Fleming and Frank Mendoza, two teenagers in love. But their relationship isn't easy. Glory is a piano prodigy, and her father, Victor, is afraid that Frank will hurt her career. He doesn't approve of Frank, especially after he's expelled from school, but that doesn't stop them. Neither Glory or Frank are willing to give up on one another, no matter what, as evident by the ending.

The way that the story is told is quite different. There are chapters, yes, but there are hardly any words used throughout the novel. Which actually, I think helped the story move along, mainly because it left it open for the reader. What little text was there helped moved the story along, and to explain what was taking place, but the photographs themselves told a story and I loved that about "Chopsticks".

It's a very fast read, and the photographs are absolutely stunning. I wasn't sure what to expect with this one, but I was pleasantly surprised. Reading "Chopsticks" is an experience in itself, you won't find another book like it, that's for sure.