NLSobon

Smash Into You
Shelly Crane
Decoding Evie
Nicole Sobon
Saving June - Hannah Harrington "Saving June" is one of the best - if not the best - contemporary novels I've ever read.

Harper Scott's older sister, June, took her own life. It's a tragedy that no one seems to understood, one that no one saw coming - especially Harper. Unlike everyone else around her who seems to be falling apart, Harper finds it impossible to even cry at her sister's death. It isn't because she isn't upset. But for some reason, she can't truly process the certainty of the situation - June's gone and she'll never come back.

Desperate to save what's left of June and give her what peace she can, Harper plans a trip to California with her best friend Laney where she plans to spread her ashes. But they won't get there without Jake - a stranger somehow connected to June. When Jake offers to bring Harper and Laney to California, Harper's initial reaction is to say no. She doesn't understand why he'd want to tag along or what kind of relationship he had with her sister. But when Laney insists that Jake's offer is just what they needed, Harper forces herself to tell Jake yes, still wary about his reasons for offering to help them.

I really enjoyed reading along as Harper, Jake, and Laney made their way to California. Between staying at the vegan house, the protest, the concert, and the motel - there was never a dull moment. But what I really enjoyed best was watching the romance develop between Harper and Jake. They are both struggling to deal with a loss - one more so than the other - and they still don't know much about each other, but you can feel that connection there, that longing.

And let's not forget the music. Talk about a book with a fantastic soundtrack! Yet another reason why I loved Jake's character. He was a bit of a music snob, albeit one with fantastic taste. To him, music needs to tell a story. And the music in "Saving June" only helped to enhance the story.

I'd highly recommend "Saving June" to anyone who loved "If I Stay" and "Where She Went" by Gayle Forman.